How AI is Elevating Rapid Growth in Ambulatory Surgical Centers (ASC)
Before the Affordable Care Act (ACA), Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASC) started offering same-day outpatient operations in 1970 and have shown to be more efficient and cost-effective than many regular hospitals. There are now approximately 5,500 ASCs operating in the United States.
The Ambulatory Surgical Centers Market is divided into single- and multi-specialty segments based on specialization. The Ambulatory Surgical Centers Market was dominated by the multi-specialty category in 2019. Due to the high volume of surgical operations done in these facilities and the availability of reimbursement, this market segment has a significant share.
Table of Contents:
What are Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASC)?
Ambulatory Surgery Centers are facilities where surgeries are performed without being admitted to the hospital. As an alternative to many hospitals, ASCs provide quality care at cost-effective services in a more convenient manner. An ASC is a surgical facility where patients can undergo surgery without being admitted to the hospital the night before. Surgery is performed in a fully equipped operating room, and patients recuperate under the supervision of highly experienced nurses. Patients and their families of all ages enjoy the relaxing atmosphere that ASCs provide for them. ASCs may specialize in sports medicine or do operations in a variety of specialties.
What are ASCs Not?
ASCs are neither diagnostic nor primary healthcare centers in rural areas that offer diagnostic or primary healthcare services. ASCs only see patients who have already seen a healthcare provider and have decided that surgery is the best course of action for their health issue. ASCs are not physician offices either. All ASCs must have at least one smart operating room with the necessary equipment to conduct surgery safely and provide quality patient care.
- Ambulatory: Refers to a condition that may be treated without being admitted to a hospital or a surgical procedure carried out as an outpatient.
- Dedicated: Set aside for a certain purpose. To be accredited, an Ambulatory Surgical Center must have at least one operating room exclusively for surgeries.
- Elective: A surgical treatment that is chosen by the patient; an elective operation may be helpful to the patient but is not urgently required.
- Podiatry: It is a surgical specialty that focuses on foot and ankle problems.
- Surgicenter: Ambulatory surgical center (ASC) is also known as a Surgicenter.
Accreditation and Ownership:
The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) now accredits nine different categories of ASCs:
- Cosmetic and facial surgery centers
- Endoscopy centers
- Ophthalmology practices
- Laser eye surgery centers
- Centers for oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Orthopedic surgery centers
- Plastic surgery centers
- Podiatry clinics
- Multi-specialty surgery centers
ASC’s During Covid 19:
ASCs are reopening now that the restriction on elective surgery imposed by the COVID-19 virus has been lifted. ASCs are well-positioned for the future now that the worst has passed. While surgical volume will likely take some time to return to normal as ASCs seek to progressively and securely start operations, industry analysts expect a significant rise in cases to follow.
Ambulatory surgical facilities have seen an increase in cases as a result of the following:
- Patients are preferring ASCs to hospitals for reasons of safety and cost savings.
- Before elective surgeries were discontinued, many surgeons shifted from hospital outpatient facilities to ASCs for reasons of safety and patient request.
- Before the COVID-19 break, third-party payers had already started sending more cases to ASCs, and analysts expect this tendency to accelerate due to the savings it offers.
- More operations may be conducted in ASCs thanks to The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), which has approved them because of the facilities’ safety, efficiency, and low cost.
- Some states may loosen Certificate of Need (CON) requirements to allow faster ASC development to handle the increased caseload.
- All canceled ASC cases may now be rescheduled. ASCs will have the opportunity to capture the case overflow from a local hospital(s) whose priorities continue to be caring for COVID-19 and other emergency patients.
Exciting Ways Artificial Intelligence is Revolutionizing Ambulatory Surgery:
AI benefits in Ambulatory Surgery Center by improving surgical efficiency, diagnosing patients, performing administrative duties, and even reducing the risk of addiction!
According to Dr. Galatz, “if you spend all your time today concentrating on ‘now,’ you’ll be practicing medicine from yesterday tomorrow.”
The following are our top 3 takeaways to help your ambulatory surgery practice stand out in this competitive market:
1. Improved Efficiency
Would your team benefit from a 90% reduction in the time spent on work claims? There’s an AI solution out there.
Would improving speech-to-text systems assist your practice by making OR Reports easier to record and reaching more patients? A Natural Language Processing (NLP) system can make this happen.
2. Diagnosis & Clinical Performance
The AI-enhanced X-ray diagnosed Osteoporotic fractures at a rate 3.5 times greater than most Clinicians, enabling rapid and accurate diagnoses!
Skin cancer detection was made easier, thanks to an AI algorithm developed by Stanford University researchers. But even if AI diagnostics are only getting started, they’ll be important in the future.
Artificial Intelligence-assisted Orthopaedic procedures “resulted in 5 time’s lower complication rate than those performed by surgeons alone.”
3. Preventing Addiction
Opioid Addiction is at an all-time high in the United States, and artificial intelligence (AI) can help reverse that trend. Physicians used machine learning (ML) to identify which surgical patients were more likely to develop an opioid addiction in a recent study. As a result, Physician Anesthesiologists may devise non-opioid pain-management methods. The system outperformed traditional approaches in terms of speed and accuracy.
The Final Say…
AI will be important shortly for simplifying data translation and sharing between conflicting software platforms. Everything from ASC preauthorization to patient registration to coding and clinical documentation to un-adjudicated claims and resolution has the potential to be automated. With less time spent on scanning, data entering, and creating bespoke interfaces, and the company will save money while reducing the risk of human error.
AI development is a fascinating area that might be the key to elevating your ASC to the next level!
We at Dash Technologies are delighted to provide AI development services as a partner in your business’s growth. Get in touch with us right now to find out how we can help your ASC keep on top of revenue cycle management while also increasing your profits.
We’re technology experts with a passion for bringing concepts to life. By leveraging a unique, consultative process and an agile development approach, we translate business challenges into technology solutions.
Author: Dash Technologies Inc
- App Development (18)
- Application Modernization (1)
- AR/VR (4)
- Artificial Intelligence (47)
- AWS (1)
- Block Chain (4)
- Digital Marketing (3)
- Dot Net (3)
- E-commerce (1)
- Enterprise Mobility (6)
- Healthcare (24)
- Internet of Things (8)
- Machine Learning (18)
- Magento (3)
- Manufacturing (6)
- Medical Device (9)
- Mobile App Development (32)
- Real Estate (4)
- Retail (5)
- RPA (2)
- Software Development (10)
- Startup Dash (5)
- Technology (19)
- Uncategorized (1)
- Web App Development (3)
- World (1)
- Best Approaches to Modernize Legacy Applications in 2023
- Flutter and Firebase – A Helpful Blend for Your Business App
- Machine Learning vs. AI – Analysis, Overview & Comparison
- The potential of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare Industry
- The Important Features Of Blockchain Technology
- How Technology Transforms Real Estate to Cope Up with Trends
- How to Integrate Firebase Crashlytics in Flutter: In-depth Guide
- Swift vs. Flutter: Which is Best for iOS App Development in 2022?
- Business Intelligence App Development: Benefits to Optimize Modern Businesses
- Things to Consider While Choosing a Software Development Team