Medical software has become a staple of the healthcare industry in recent years. From EMR/EHR and practice management software to medical billing and patient scheduling, there is a wide range of options as well as tools and features when it comes to medical software. These medical features offer several benefits to help with healthcare organizations from small specialty clinics to larger hospital systems.
Some clinicians use the terms EHR and EMR interchangeably, the benefits they offer vary greatly. An EMR (electronic medical record) is a digital version of a chart with patient information stored in a computer and an EHR (electronic health record) is a digital record of health information.
What is the Definition of EMR (Electronic Medical Record)?
The EMR, or electronic medical record, refers to everything you’d find in a paper chart, such as medical history, diagnoses, medications, immunization dates, and allergies. While EMRs work well within a practice, they’re limited because they don’t easily travel outside the practice. The patient’s medical record might even have to be printed out and mailed for another provider to see it.
What is the Definition of EHR (Electronic Health Record)?
An EHR or electronic health record is a digital record of health information. It contains all the data you’d find in a paper chart and a lot more. An EHR may include past medical history, vital signs, progress notes, diagnoses, medications, immunization dates, allergies, lab data, and imaging reports. It can also comprise other relevant information, such as insurance information, demographic data, and even data imported from personal wellness devices.
The Benefit of EMR/EHR
Enhance Patient Experience:
- Patient Profile- Monitor, track and upload your patient’s medical records, diagnostic reports, prescriptions, and much more.
- E-Prescription- Send E-prescriptions to your patients and keep a record of the whole treatment procedure.
- Diagnostic Reports- Prompt access to diagnostic reports along with doctor notes to all the stakeholders.
- Progress Reports- Get a visual representation of the progress made by the patient throughout the treatment with custom notifications configured for any abnormality.
- Medical Record Department- Keep track of your physical files of old records along with new digital medical records of the patient and make sure nothing goes missing.
- Medicinal Administration Request- Maintain MAR worklist, medication administration, enable order list for drug intent and manage frequency & Time mapping.
Hyper Coordinated Workflows:
- Medicinal Order- Prescribe only those medicines which are in stock with an inbuilt instinctive drop-down suggestion. Send auto-updates to the pharmacy for quicker turnaround time.
- Clinical Order- Predefined templates help you to swiftly set up any procedural orders or testing orders.
- Diet Management- Create, manage and share the diet plan of the inpatient with the hospital mess department.
- Clearance Status- Keep track of the clearance status of the patient.
Create a Paperless Hospital:
- Specialty Focus- Customized templates as per specialty empower the hospital staff to quickly process the patient data.
- Confidential Templates- Create confidential and protected templates for sensitive information.
- Admission Request- Raise the admission request of the patient accompanied by supporting information.
- Surgical Request- Raise a surgical request to the OT department and respective doctor.
Additional Software to Consider
Different types of medical software are similar to EMR software and/or can easily be integrated with EMR software.
Medical Practice Management software manages functions, for example, appointment scheduling, billing, claims processing, and other administrative tasks for medical practices. Many vendors offer integrated EMR and medical practice management solutions.
Healthcare Management software is more comprehensive than MPM software and integrates clinical, operational, and financial functions of medical practice. It manages typical MPM functions as well as processes like financial auditing and regulatory compliance.
Medical Transcription software enables physicians/clinicians to transcribe clinical notes for patients using voice dictation. Transcription is occasionally offered as a feature of an advanced ERM solution.
Seeing Is Believing
From a small startup to an award-winning provider of EMR/EHR solutions, with satisfied clients in clinics from coast to coast, Dash Technologies offers digital care for you, your team, patients, and the healthcare community. Dash Technologies helps HealthQuilt to deliver continuous care with digitally integrated primary care. To know about HealthQuilt’s success story based on affordable quality healthcare, read our case study here: HealthQuilt Deliver Continuous Care With Digitally-Integrated Primary Care
The Final Say…
Dash offers open-source EMR/EHR software development services that promote interoperability, improve doctor-patient communication, streamline clinical workflows, and maximize clinical productivity amongst healthcare organizations. We develop interoperable EMR/EHR software solutions to manage everything from operational tasks, electronic documents, customizable chart templates, clinical dashboards & reports, appointment schedules, patient profiles, prescription lists and distributed access control modules.
We’ll help you find the right software for your needs and budget. Schedule a call to chat with our experts now.
Can I build my own EMR?
How to Create EMR Software? To develop an EMR software, you have to take the same steps as with EHR software development. The only difference is that EMR systems are easier to build and integrate because they keep information about a single healthcare practice.
Is the EHR secure?
Yes. An electronic health record is more secure than an ordinary paper chart. Confidentiality is a large part of healthcare and is upheld with the computerized system. The system is HIPAA compliant and requires a password and log-in for each user. There are multiple layers of security- not everyone can access all aspects of a patient’s record.
With the EMR/EHR, are healthcare decisions now led by a computer?
No. This technology provides real-time decision support for providers. The computer doesn’t tell the doctor what to do; it simply makes accurate information accessible so the doctor can make the medical decision.
What is the future of the EMR/EHR?
Computers and computer applications have changed the way we live. Today much of our activities are supported by computers. Medicine is no different. In the future, EMR/EHR will be able to talk with every hospital and other medical providers possibly in the world.
We’re technology experts with a passion for bringing concepts to life. By leveraging a unique, consultative process and an agile development approach, we translate business challenges into technology solutions.
- AI in Dating App: The Unexpected Love Affair between the Two
- Real Estate Application Development: Top Benefits
- Software Development Outsourcing: Growing More Strong Than Ever
- How Much Money You Can Earn Through Mobile App in 2022
- What Do Healthcare Software Solutions Mean and why do We Need It?
- How to Integrate Payment Gateways in Mobile Apps- A Complete Guide
- Operating Room of the Future: Dash Transforming Today’s Challenges into Tomorrow’s Opportunities
- Top Four Steps to Increase Users Engagement and Retention Rates
- Flutter App Development Costs: All Expenses You Should Consider
- Mental Health App Ideas for Doctors and Startups